Thursday, February 22, 2007

#7 - i need you

bleh... i felt kinda dirty after those two american idol posts in a row, so here's some real music: my first music post will, of course, be relient k. much thanks to mike and jeremy for introducing me to this band in the first place, cause since that time they've been my favorite artist hands down. there's not one song by them that i don't absolutely love. why do i like their music? melodies and harmonies are intricate, creative. it's the little things that really add to the sounds, one bar here and there that makes their music interesting. lyrics are wonderful, not only creative, but they use a full set of vocabulary. haha, that sounds weird but y'know when you listen to the radio i bet you normally hear maybe the same 1000 words or so over and over again. now i'm not saying that you've got to squeeze those $1.00 words into each song, but don't be shy about using multisyllabic words when they're appropriate. or wonderfully random. and what's more, they use those words without altering accepted english stress patterns (this is where the linguist in me comes out) and really keeping the phrases aurally pleasing. plus they make use of all the notes in their melodies (y'know how you can tell when someone's written a song with a few words dragged out and you can tell that they had to stretch the words to match the notes... not so with this band, they make full use of every note). plus their lyrics are just fun to sing.

okay, blah blah blah, right, but the main reason why they're my favorite is because their songs seem to hit all the right emotions for me. everything, the sounds, words, silence, and instrumentation just work together. can't really explain good music, but they are definately the best. i just heard their new song, "i need you." those are three very powerful words in song, they work very well in just about any song. i'd put those words in my song, if i had any talent to make songs and then if i wanted to make a song about needing someone. anyway, go check it out, i've got it playing on my myspace page (click link on the right). can't wait until March 6th, their new album comes out, i've got sneak peeks at four songs and i love them all already:

Five Score and Seven Years Ago:

1. Plead the Fifth
2. Come Right Out and Say It
3. I Need You
4. The Best Thing
5. Forgiven
6. Must Have Done Something Right
7. Give
8. Devastation and Reform
9. I'm Taking You With Me
10. Faking My Own Suicide
11. Crayons Can Melt On Us For All I Care
12. Bite My Tongue
13. Up and Up
14. Deathbed

No comments: