Tuesday, February 27, 2007

#10 - jason mraz

okay, i was gonna save this post for later, but since that guy sang one of his songs on idol tonight i thought i'd post it today. so, here's my second favorite artist: jason mraz. why do i like his stuff? hmm... well, not quite the same reasons as my #1 pick (re: relient k), not so much for the lyrics or emotional tone of his songs, but he's just a great singer. really free... smooth. if i could sing at all, i'd probably pick this guy to emulate. of course, i don't like all his stuff (that's why he's #2 on the list), but i love all his acoustic stuff. the versions with just him, a guitar, some hand drums, and maybe a jazz flute or something. that's the best stuff (e.g. "no doubling back" or "unfold" the live "coffee house" versions). but he can do good stuff with orchestration too (e.g. "please don't tell her" and "plane" from his most recent album).

as for the song that american idol guy sang... not a great example of why i like jason mraz. you've probably never heard the songs that i really like from him, but if you ever do it's just really free flowing music. awesome. if you get a chance check out some of his stuff, here are some of my suggestions:

- unfold - probably my fave of his, but the live acoustic version, vocals are great, simple kind of song, but it's got a lot in it
- no doubling back - very close second favorite, but then again, only the live acoustic version, there's so much more music when there's only three instruments playing y'know?
- you and i both - for a more mainstream type song, this one is pretty good, also check the acoustic version of this one though
- bella luna - on his newest album, i love the tempo and easiness of this song, very clean and clear

on an unrelated note.... things that are pissing me off right now:

1. mosquito bites
2. knowing i'm not going to get my 8 hours of sleep tonight
3. itunes - nevermind that it's a damn greedy SOB trying to take all my money and monopolize my music playing options (i refuse to get an ipod for this very reason... also i don't like those buttons), but i've got it installed on my computer and crappin' thing keeps skipping! what the crap! i paid for these songs and i'm damn sure i didn't pay for it to skip every 20 seconds. grr... does anyone else have this problem? is it connected to the internet? maybe it's my wireless connection that's funking it up? i don't know but it's making me angry...

3, 2, 1.... 1, 2, 3.... what the heck.... is bothering me...

grr...

1 comment:

Joseph said...

I'm Yours is my favorite. it's the song that was playing on our wedding slide show, if you remember.

=)

i'm not watching AI until the top 12. nothing (and no one) really interests me... cept the Chris dude.

yea.