Friday, February 16, 2007

#2 - the lottery

so, why create a blog? well, i guess it really all started with the lottery. about half a year ago i put my name in for a housing lottery to try and get myself a place to live. in college i lived in the dorms, and that was great and all, but UH pretty much sucked big time and if anything i wanted to get away from it on the weekends, not stick around. in grad school i moved back home and that was fine, 'cause at least i had my own room and all, but living back with the family was getting to me. and now that i'm all old and working, living with the family is major bugging me. i need my own place, i need my own life.

before the lottery i scanned the ads each sunday for something to dream about, but even though i had a steady job and not much expenses, it still didn't really seem like a possibility for me to move out and live life on my own. but once those lotteries came out, suddenly it all felt like it could possibly be a reality. of course, it was still a lottery, meaning i'd have to get real tight with lady luck to pull one of the 20 units out of about 400 applicants. so i entered, and didn't get picked. and entered again, and didn't get picked again. (read that over two more times and you get the point). so here's another chance, the lottery is on saturday. but whether or not i'll pull the number this weekend is not the point (well that's a damn lie, it IS the frickin' point because then i can finally move out!), the important thing is that this whole process has lead me to envision what my life could be like. more importantly, what i could make my life be like.

which brings me to this blog... since i'm at the point of my life where i'm breaking out of my early life (well, the first 25 yrs anyway), it'd be a real good time to take stock and see what i'll bring with me into the next 25 yrs and what i'll leave behind, and also what new things i'll pick up. this lottery (and chance to buy a place of my own) is kinda like buying a new life too. if i'm lucky enough to get a home for myself, i'll have to decide what to put in it, likewise, i'll have to decide what i want to put into my new life. so the things you see on this blog will be things that i want to include in my life from this point on. let's see what kind of home i'll create.

No comments: