Saturday, March 1, 2008

#113 - novelty

so i was feeling kinda tired and bummed this week for some reason. i thought it was just because i wasn't getting enough sleep. plus i've been more active than usual, but actually, when i am more active that's when i usually feel MORE energized, and when i don't do something active everyday that's when i get lethargic. but anyway, so i was talking to a co-worker about it and she gave me some unusual advice. at least i thought it was unusual. she told me that i need to get myself some new friends. haha! well, not that i should dump all my current friends, but she said that new and different types of social interaction keeps us energized. she said that even though i'm active in doing physical things like exercising and playing sports, she told me that i need to energize my social side. and it makes sense, in neurology the thing that keeps your mind active and healthy is regular use and exposure to new stimulation that keeps your brain adjusting to different thoughts and sensations. that process of making adjustments is what makes your brain grow, like mental exercise. maybe that's what i need.

but see, i've been trying to do it. new home. new experiences. and i have been participating in new activities (i'm playing volleyball with very different kinds of people and i just joined a tennis league with new people too), but maybe it's not enough. or maybe it just hasn't taken effect yet. my co-workers have always been telling me to "put myself out there," for a variety of reasons, finding a girl, finding new friends, establishing myself in the world (because they think i'm so young and impressionable, haha, yeah, i laugh at that). so they're probably right, right? because they're old and know more stuff than me (life-experience-wise). so i'm trying... but i guess i haven't gotten there yet.

anyway, i found these pics i took when brandi was here last week, okay, so not really "new" experiences and people, but very fun, nonetheless. this is the "after" picture of a day of surf:


lunch at en fuego in kapolei, very yummy.

and here's the point about new things, in order to do new things you've gotta let go of the old things. here's my problem: everytime i go to en fuego i get the lau lau plate, because it's good and comes with lots of different things (lau lau, brown rice, mac salad, ahi poke, lomi salmon, haupia), so whenever i go i think "why get anything else when i love eating this?" and it's not like the other things on the menu don't look appetizing, i just think, "i like the lau lau plate so much and i only come here so often so why WOULDN'T i get it?"

okay, well that's probably putting too much introspection into a lunch decision, but my point is in there somewhere. just gotta keep looking for those opportunities for new experiences, and then have enough balls to take them huh?

3 comments:

brandizzle said...

new friends are great! even if they aren't really good/close friends, even if you only see them once in awhile. my friend beth and i made a goal to meet one new person every week at dodgeball. so far we have done that and more! i'm not the kind of person who'll just go up to someone and start talking but when we're out at the bar, had a few drinks, then i might approach people and it's fun.

when you go eat at a hawaiian place, you should get hawaiian food. i always get loco mocos. i know, not really good for you but ohhhhhhhh so ono! and everytime i go to a thai place: pad thai. it's not that i don't like to try new things but sometimes i've been disappointed in what i ordered and will say "oh i shoulda got the pad thai". japanese place it's either tempura or oyako donburi. tokyo tei - pork teriyaki! i love food!!! :)

Jibberwashed said...

I agree with your co-workers, but I really do value your friendship. New social situations is a big part as to why I moved into town, started capoeira, and try to eat at one new place a week. It's how I figure out where all the good food is, and opens my mind to things like connecting with new people.

Oh, and sorry I couldn't make it out this past weekend, but I was out Salsa dancing, then entered a scrabble tournament. It was a fun weekend. I'm going to try to make it out to First Friday in chinatown if you like go, check out some live music and art. Yeah, I'm not sure if it's your thing.

If my foot's better, I might go salsa dancing too if you want to learn. Oh yeah, and i dislocated my toe last night.

Jibberwashed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.