Friday, July 18, 2008

#162 - does posting this make me crazy?


check out this video... yeah, i know american idol is over, but i think this group of people really do have a future, and, more importantly, i am actually interested in what these people do after the show is over (which demonstrates the true success of the show huh?).

anyway, this is a clip of david archuleta singing "crazy" by gnarls barkley. what's funny is that this is his first audition song from the hollywood round and all the judges and producers thought this was one of the best auditions, but they couldn't get the clearance for the song in time for the television show, so no one ever saw it. but now, jason castro is singing this song on the american idol tour... i youtube-ed his performance and, yup, it's pretty crappy, haha. but i love archuleta's version of it. if you listen past "crazy" on the clip, he also sings "heaven" again, and then at the very end he tries to talk to the audience and ends up sounding like a total dork. but in a funny way, so it's all good.

it's too bad they weren't allowed to sing songs like this on the show. i mean, the main critizism of a lot of the contestants is that they sing all old, generic songs and don't sound contemporary enough. but look at archuleta here, i think that's a pretty darn good re-take on a current song, but no one got to see it. oh well, i hope this is more of the direction that these people go in after the show, i mean, first they use archuleta's imagine on "so you think you can dance" and now this, the boy's going through a revival eh? haha.

ps - i'm getting closer and closer to buying an ipod for the first time ever. i've been anti-apple for the longest time, but i've been buying music on itunes (i just found a whole crapload of piano music from japanese composers that i can't find anywhere else, so that increased the temptation) and work is starting up again next week so... it might come down to this: surrendering to apple. buying an ipod. hmm...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was Castro's audition song too and neither aired due to clearance issues. Though Jason's is the cover of the Ray LaMontagne version, so not the same thing at all.

Anonymous said...

RE:"it's too bad they weren't allowed to sing songs like this on the show. i mean, the main critizism of a lot of the contestants is that they sing all old, generic songs and don't sound contemporary enough."

I totally agree with you. David wanted to do a contemporary version of "Longer" but the producers didn't allow him to.

Kat said...

Yes, I do think it makes you a little crazy and I'm being candid about it since I know that you're very comfortable telling me when I'm being crazy. :) Nah, but at least you have a hobby of sorts and I do agree with you that this latest bunch has the greatest potential to succeed. And yes, just surrender to Apple and buy an ipod. I was also somewhat anti-ipod for a bit but now my ipod is the one somewhat expensive "luxury" item that I absolutely can't live without. I used to use my ipod as a digital voice recorder too and I would record my kids and then play it from my computer during the iep.

brandizzle said...

my ipod was the best thing i've ever bought. it's brought me through thick and thin and i can't live without it. sappy, i know, but true.

as for AI, newer songs should be used, and maybe it could me more popular. archuleta was my fave but i'm still not sure i would buy his music.

Kat said...

Okay, so I decided that I had to watch Jason's performance, too. Although 'Lil Bro was awesome as usual, I have to admit that I liked Jason's version better.