Sunday, July 22, 2007

#58 - getting set

time's a-tickin' away until i'm finally off on my own. man, i can't wait. summer was nice and everything, but man, there's NO escaping at this house. there are people everywhere. just there, being big people lumps that i can't get away from. i will be so happy when i finally have a place all to myself, and so this weekend i gave myself a break from this "house" and went off to envision a little bit of what i'd like my new place to be. first off, to pictures plus, they had a tent sale and i picked up four frames with mats for only $28, nice, the lady there cut me a sweet deal. then i found a couple of ledge shelves to hang up for half off, so picked me up a couple of those and got myself a little more pumped up to move out, haha. anyway, i've been buying a lot of photography-artwork lately, but taking a look at some of my own amateur digital camera shots, i think i could make my own (plus, i could print them out myself for like a dollar each print). here's one that i framed already, it's pupukea in the winter: i think one thing i'll really miss about living at home though, is the piano... i'd say i play the piano pretty much daily... nothing fancy or anything, just messing around running through books and books of songs. my favorites for the past few months have been japanese pieces, for some reason they are really well-orchestrated for piano. something about instrumental japanese music really catches my attention, both traditional and contemporary. could it be the years and years of nintendo engrained in my brain? i don't know, but lately i've been playing pieces from princess mononoke, spirited away, and then i've got this book of japanese video game music that's just awesome. i don't even know where the songs are from (probably some nerdy final fantasy game or something), but it's really nicely written for piano.
so yeah, i'll definately miss my big black grand piano when i move into my small townhouse. i think one of the first things i'll need to buy (beside a tonkin' big screen tv of course, haha) is a piano. except i think i might have to get an electric piano... boo. i mean, i could probably fit an acousitc upright in my place, but it'd be big and heavy and hard to move and expensive (like, 3-4 grand). so after pictures plus i went to the piano outlet to check out some of the digitals, most of them have weighted keys now so there's like hammer action when you play (like a real piano) which is pretty good. this one below that i saw was pretty cool, nice and simple, not a lot of electronics on it, which is good. but it had preprogrammed demo songs, like a player piano (except the keys don't move... that was kinda disappointing, but oh well), and it could record what you play. plus, it was only $1000. sweet. but, sigh, that's another expense to add onto my ever-growing list... i'm gonna be eating pb&j for the next five years i think.

3 comments:

Jibberwashed said...

Cragslist, bro:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/

I think I furnished my entire apartment for like $100. Granted, it's not very nice, but you'd be surprised at the good deals you can get from craigslist. There might even be someone giving away a piano or something if you look hard enough.

Yosh808 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nure nezumi said...

nope, no craiglist for me, i'd be very much more satisfied waiting and saving up for something i'd really like to have in my place rather than picking out whatever's out there just to have stuff in my house. besides, this way i can take the zen approach and go minimalist on the furniture, that way i can show off my bamboo flooring, ha.

oh yeah, and i actually went and found some nintendo-like piano music sheets and damn if it ain't difficult to play, geez, i mean like i can get the mario underwater theme and some zelda dungeon music, but all that fast stuff is pretty mean. i gotta practice.