Sunday, April 1, 2007

#29 - death to haircuts

man do i HATE getting haircuts... it's not about the actual cutting itself, although it is kind of nerve-wracking to walk into a shop with no idea what's going to happen to you and very little control of it. i hate them because they just never turn out right. i used to think i just didn't know how to explain what kind of haircut i wanted, but now i think i'm just destined to never have a nice haircut ever. which is why my wait between haircuts is getting longer and longer. case in point, the last time i cut my hair was december 11, 2006. after almost four months my hair was this long: whew! i actually liked it a lot as it was growing out... but then it got a bit ridiculous and i was on the verge of mullet-ness for awhile so i decided that it was finally time to get it cut. so last sunday (first mistake, i didn't realize it, but it was April 1st... dumbass), i went to get my haircut (second mistake, i went to supercuts, i don't know why i keep going there, i think it's because it's the most guy-friendly place and i'm comfortable sitting in there and waiting... i actually tried to go to that new regis place in town center, but i was scared away, haha). so i'm sitting there in the chair, and i think i did a pretty good job explaining how i want my hair cut, "about an inch off on top, the sides and the back are really overgrown so you can cut a lot off over there and blend it into the top... etc." this is what she did (all very slowly, by the way, it was pretty obvious that she didn't know what the hell she was doing and i wouldn't be surprised if she was just sweeping up hair and cleaning out the trash two seconds before i walked in that door):

1. cut 1/2" of the top center of my head, think reverse mohawk, that's what it looked like
2. took tiny, tiny snips off the tips of my hair around my ears and at the bottom of my neck
3. turned me around and said, "how's that?" like she was done or something

so, of course, i told her "uh... can you cut it down some more?" duh, lady, i came for a haircut didn't i? anyway, then she snipped around for about another 3 minutes and turned me around again and took the frickin' coat thing off, so i was like, screw this, this lady ain't gonna be able to do any better. so i paid her, no tip, and got the butt out of there. when i got home i looked in the mirror and saw this... what the f***? what the crap kind of look did she think i was looking for? the 1960's austin powers' fembot look? what the crap kind of haircut is this?!?
needless to say, i was completely pissed off my ass. but i didn't want to go back to that supercuts because i knew that lady wouldn't be able to do any better. so i called the other supercuts in mililani, but they were all booked for the day. but no way in hell i was gonna go to work the next day looking like some circus freak so luckily i called fantastic sams and they were still open so i rushed my buns over there to fix it.
and this is the result, still not a good haircut, but after my horrendous experience at supercuts i would've been happy if she shaved my head bald. but, she cut off my sideburns! that made me really angry, she didn't even ask, she just buzzed it and before i could even react it was too late, then i couldn't say anything because i couldn't walk around with only one sideburn (or could i? hmmm...). so now i'm left with this totally koreanized haircut with no sideburns and super long horse mane bangs. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr................. the next day i cut my own bangs. at least that was something i could do myself, so it's a tiny tiny bit better, but still... all i can do now is wait for my hair to grow out again. it's so sad, it's like all that effort to grow out your hair and your sideburns is destroyed with the flick of a razor. all that hard work down the drain. and now there's nothing you can do but wait for it for months until it comes back again.

thus, i hate haircuts and they're stupid and they can bite me. if i never have to get another haircut again as long as i live i'll be the happiest bastard in the world. if anyone out there knows any kind of decent place for a guy to get a haircut that doesn't make him look like a freak PLEASE let me know... i'm in desperation mode, well, not really yet, but i will be in another 3 months when i'll be forced to cut it again.


on the other hand... maybe i'll go sanjaya and let it grow out completely, ha!

5 comments:

Joseph said...

Did you go to the one in Town Center?
They screwed me over too. My hair had grown incredibly long (the longest i've ever had) and i kinda wanted to keep that going. so i just went to get a trim.
I asked that lady for a little off the top and off the sides.
Well i don't know what the hell she did, but all i know is that she shaved off my sideburns. that ruined the whole thing.
i went home, and i literally had a bowl cut.
I looked like a mushroom.
a tip of a penis, if you must.
it looked horrible.
seriously, my shadow resembled a walking penis... the only thing saving my head looking like that were my ears.

yea.

the wife forced me to get another hair cut.

i went to the safeway supercuts.

she was able to save my hair.
now it's short and spikey.

that's my story.

Anonymous said...

Haha! Sorry, gotta laugh at the first attempt. The second, not so bad. Looks good. :) But now you know why I go to MY salon and only go to MY stylist. It may cost more, but no more than two haircuts in a row. Haha. If you want to try my stylist I'll give you her number. :D

kristen said...

i'm sorry matt, but i laughed out loud at that first one. what was up with that?! i tell you, you should've just came to me. i can cut hair! haha, well not really and it would've taken 2 hours but i think i could've done better than that first one. isn't that horrible that you had to have 2 haircuts + cut it yourself just to have, really 1 haircut? hmm...

nure nezumi said...

haha, alas, yes, i've had the penis shaped haircut a couple of times as well. sigh... how can something so simple as a haircut go so horribly wrong?

actually, i usually go to the town center, but this time i went to the one by safeway, and they butchered it. i guess if you go to supercuts at all the only thing you can get is a short & spikey haircut, they don't know how to do anything else...

brandizzle said...

oh my my that was an awful fembot haircut!!! yikes! you can never really trust a hair stylist. i've just come to accept that the hair style or cut you want will never be what you get. and it'll grow out anyways. so shaving my head was my answer to that for awhile. now i am facing the same dilemma and going to get a haircut this weekend hopefully. nervous. i am not sure that long hair suits you....in fact i am pretty sure you should just keep getting weird haircuts to avoid long hair-ed ness. anyways, i was laughing a lot after reading this, thanks. and the pics...very fun.