Tuesday, January 26, 2010

#309 - the procedure

** UPDATE**
how disgusting is this? and this is AFTER the cyst was removed... this is what's left, it's like a bullet-hole. hope it heals... eventually...
anyone squeamish?

not that my writing could do justice to the disgusting-ness of the procedure, but if you are, best not read any further.

so after a weekend of slouching (because it was too painful to stand up straight), constantly rotating from one side to the other of my couch (because each shift in bodily position had to be carefully selected for minimal pain and cyst-squishiness), not being able to lean back in a chair, and getting neck pain from lying on my stomach forever (good thing it's aussie open time, i would've been so bored otherwise), i was finally able to get a doctor's appointment yesterday to take care of this nasty thing on my back. turns out i was right with the diagnosis at least, it was an infected sebaceous cyst. the cure? excision!

after reading up on it on the internet and seeing youtube after youtube of guts and pus spewing out of people's backs, i was a bit nervous, but my sister had a cyst removed and she said it was painless after the lidocaine. and after spending the weekend with a ticking-time bomb on my back i would've done just about anything to get rid of it. so here's how it happened:

1. the needle - not so bad, easier than an injection for like dental procedures, and after the numbness took over i was feeling pretty good

2. the incision - hardly even felt it. there was a slight sharp slice through the numbness (like a fingernail running down your back), but that might have been more my imagination than an actual sensation

3. the guts - well, since it was on my back, i couldn't see what actually spewed out... but i felt stuff trickling down my back and they were sure wiping up a lot

4. the pain - so after the initial and primarily painfree slice, he started to squeeze. and then it was all over. the pain. holy crap the pain. that could possibly have been the most painful medical procedure of my life (at least, that i can remember... probably getting the wisdom teeth out was more painful, but my memory of that is kinda fuzzy). it wasn't that each squeeze was excrutiatingly painful, it was the constant, unrelenting squeezing. i tried to block out the pain by imagining all that crap being finally purged out of my skin, but after what seemed like minutes of squeezing i was getting the pain trembles and everything.

5. the searing - after he finally (FINALLY!) stopped squeezing, the doctor cauderized the inside lining to kill all of the infection, then slapped a bandage on the thing and told me to give it a good squeeze after showering and not let the wound close before the next appointment next friday (otherwise he might have to reopen it... and hell no, i do not want that).

so it's gone. hopefully. what's left is a putrid crater of seared, blackened skin in the center of a red, irritated mess of bruised skin. it's great. not. so i'm squeezing whatever's left outta there and hoping that when i see the doctor on friday it'll be all cleaned out and he can patch me back up and i can get on my way... until then, i'm having a great time taking it easy and watching aussie open all day... too bad for andy, but go roger!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

wow dude! Totally gross! Honestly, I went a little crazy reading it... How you doing now?

brandizzle said...

Thanks for the awesome post!! Sorry u had to go through all that but it made forgood blogging. Too bad there weren't any pics.

nure nezumi said...

haha, thanks emily yeah it's much better now, but it was so weird because i guess it's really common, but i had no idea what it was at the time. hey, are you playing volleyball this year?

what, did you want pics? haha, yeah i tried to take some actually, but they didn't come out very well so i gave up, just think of the most disgusting flesh crater you can imagine about the size of a marble and that's what it was like!

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Unknown said...

Dude! How BIG is that HOLE?!?!?!! Looks like an inch and a half or MORE in diAmeEtTeEERRrrrrrrRRR??????? :/ :( BbBBbBbbBblLLllLLlllLLLeeehhhhhhhh ~~ Sorry; definitely more than squeamish now. So.. I'm glad you're alright!! I hope it's healing okay. U should be patched up by now? (Sorry, finally gotta scroll away from the pic! :)

V-Ball, totally want to! Are you playing? U know I moved to WA... there's a Ymca near my house I want to check out; actually it's name is "Northshore" (I live a little north of Seattle) Really it's their pool I want to join for, but I figured I'd see about the open volleyball too :)

nure nezumi said...

haha, nah, it's not that big, maybe half an inch, it got a lot better. so now slowly it's getting smaller and hopefully i'll be back to normal in another week (i hope!).

OH YEAH! i totally forgot your in seattle, duh. i'm playing again with my dad's team, they cut out wednesdays, so now we only play once a week, either monday or thursday. yeah that'd be cool to get some open volleyball, i'm amped to play again!